PCOS, have weight gain, not on medicines. Can I take metformin?

hi, im joanne, 27 years old. Height: 5 5, Weight: 76kg. I m also a patient with PCOS , I did my ultrasound last year and never havd treatment for this. My menstrual cycle is irregular and it took around 2-3 months before i ve got my period. And even if i m not eating much of food i am still gaining weight. I didnt consult any OB-GYNE doctors yet. Then, somebody told me to take metformin (dimet 850mg). til when should i take this medicine and will i use it OD or BID? thanks.
Asked On : Fri, 18 Jan 2013