Overweight, red patch on bottom of foot, tender to touch. Concern for diabetes? Could it be fungal?

My husband who is 40 and overweight has just developed a red blotch patch on the sole of his foot right in the middle of his foot-between the ball and the arch. It is red, and tender to him and has been there a while. Is this a concern like a diabetic would have? He says it feels like a wound when its healing ...tender to the touch...ironically it is on both feet of his. Could it be fungal? I am not knowing what to do.
Asked On : Thu, 10 May 2012