Overweight, had rheumatoid arthritis. Had considerable improvement after weight loss, medicines, have more energy and agility. Is weight loss the key to well being?

Dear Dr. Grief: I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis approximately 10 years ago by a Rheumatologist , at which, time I weighed in at 200 pounds. I am 6 1 tall. Treament was initially comprised of celebrex accompanied with Tylenol #3 (4-6) per day, as was necessary. As the disease progressed I started on more current treatment options such as cimzia and other biologics accompanied with Tylenol #4 (6-8) per day. To make a long story shorter, I ve lost a considerable amount of weight and now weigh in at 160 pounds. I ve never felt better in my entire adult life and I m 65 years of age. I presently take (1-3) tylenol #3 per day for pain management . I m more agile, have more energy, need less sleep, and am almost able to leap tall buildings with a single bound. This state I have maintained for almost 4.5 years now. However, my Rheumatologist would like to see me on a biologic so as to inhibit any further progression of the disease. My sed rate is presently at 33, AST 42, ALt 38 and GGT 62 My question is twofold, (1) Is the weight loss a key, as to my present state of comfort and well being? and (2) Is this all just co-incidental, and if I don t decide to accept additional treatment am I opening myself up to further damage and disability?
Asked On : Tue, 17 Jul 2012