is a pain killer & is comparitively safer in therapeutic doses. But overdose results in serious toxicity. Ingestion of excess Paracetamol causes liver damage. Early treatment is vital in preventing the organ damage & in saving the individual.
Activated charcoal should be given within 4 hours of ingestion of Paracetamol to prevent its absorption.
N-acetyl cysteine is the specific treatment for Paracetamol poisoning & it prevents liver damage
& saves the person.
Rash, nausea, vomiting & diarrhoea can occur following N-acetyl cysteine treatment but jaundice indicates liver damage induced by Paracetamol. Gastric irritation (gastritis
) induced by such heavy dose of Paracetamol can be treated by anti ulcer drugs like Rabiprazole. But before taking Rabiprazole liver damage should be ruled out.
Liver function test will indicate if there is any residual liver damage.Liver function tests like AST, ALT, Serum bilirubin
, alkaline phosphatase
, total proteins, A/G ratio will help to assess the extent of liver damage. So, pl. get liver function test done immediately.