Outside of my wrist is swollen and it hurts to touch. what could be the reason for swelling ?

I have a strange problem with my hand. It is swollen and it hurts to touch the outside of my wrist all the way up my pinky. the strange thing is it only hurts to the touch (feels like broken glass inside the hand) but it is fine when I use it. I have had the same problem a year ago in the same hand but on the thumb side of the hand in which over time the pain went away but some of the swelling remained. Any Ideas ?
Asked On : Mon, 13 Jun 2011