On ulnar-gutter cast for fracture of 5th metacarpal. How long should it be kept?

Hello, I just came from my campus doctor who put me in an ulnar-gutter cast for a fracture of my 5th metacarpal. My pinkie finger is also displaced. He left my pinkie unwrapped which I thought was odd. So, I just bought a finger splint from the drugstore and it feels a lot more protected now. He also did not tell me how long to wear the ulnar-gutter. I am a full time college student aged 46 without insurance. I feel like I should have been given some more info...any advice? He referred me to the campus sports doc for my displacement and when I called to make an appnt. I was told it would cost me around $600 to be treated. I can t afford that---I m just looking to heal as fast as possible. Thanks for any help...:)
Asked On : Fri, 22 Feb 2013