On oral birth control, have cramps, brown spotting. Side effects? Normal?

I have been on an oral birth control for about 8 months now. I was recently on my last couple pills of my 3rd week (right before I start taking the placebos, so I still had about 4 days till I start my period) and I started having cramps and later the next day I had brown spotting. I am going on vacation this week so I decided to skip the placebo pills and skip to my next pack because I do not want to deal with my period on vacation. Are all these side effects normal?
Asked On : Mon, 7 Jan 2013
Welcome to Health Care Magic
If you are taking those oral pills which has same strength of hormones, throughout your 21 days followed by 7 days of placebo, and then you decide to skip placebo, to avoid menses, these symptoms does not happen. there are some oral pills where strength of hormones changes according to our natural changes in hormonal levels with days of menstrual cycle, then you can get these side effects. it is not advisable to skip placebos and take in continuation another packet, if you are taking second type of medicines, like triphasil, trisequens etc.
If you are taking first group of oral pills, where strength are constant, and you are getting above side effects, it means either you have skipped one or two hormonal tablets, or absorption was affected because of vomitining, Diarrhoea or ingestion of some other pills for other illness.
I hope you understand, and got your answer.
Dr H Hamdani