On mucinexD, itching, effects breathing, hives. Can shift to sudafed get rid of sinus?

which is better sudafed or musinexD? My husband has been taking muxinex D but seems to have trouble breathing and wonders if sudafed would help him more. He will be breathing fine and suddenly his nose will be completely blocked so he can get no air. He has stenois of the spine very bad. has lost 6" in height and is in constant pain some times to the point he screams with agony. He can not take most pain medication, causes itching, effects his breathing making it worse some times hives. His doctor suggest pain management but he can't get into see the specialist until 10-28-13. He needs help!!
Asked On : Thu, 17 Oct 2013