On medicines for hypothyroidism. Trying to concieve. Advised follicular study. When should we have intercourse?

Dear doctor, I am marriedfor 1.5 yrs, and have never tried to concieve. I am under medication for Hypothyroid , and had 2 periods with a gap of 14 days in the same month. Hence,when I visited a doctor, she prescribed me Pause pills for 3 days. After which, I have been advised to take a follicular study on the 12th day of my cycle. Doctor suggested that my husband does not travel during the days of the follicular study, since we might be required to be in contact. My question is, Should we have an intercourse before going for the 1st study? Or should we do it after the study. why was My husband s presence important. Also, since we have planned to have a baby only recently, I have not taken any blood work or screening tests for vaccines, neither have I taken follic acid. Hence If we do have an intercource, is it suggested that we have unprotected intercourse? whats the science behind the follicular study, can you clarify.
Asked On : Tue, 20 Nov 2012