On medicines for RA, have rapid heart beats, ECHO shows mitral valve prolapse, trivial mitral regurgitation. What could the problem be?

I am 42 years old and suffering from Rheumatic Arthritis from last 12 years. I am taking regular medicines from Doctor. Now I feel some fast heart beat. I undergone Echo and the impression is as follows: Mitral Valve Prolapse . Trivial Mitral Regurgitation . Normal LV Systolic & Diastolic Functions. MITRAL VALVE - Thin, posterior mital leaflet moves normally during diastole , no subvalvular pathology, no calcification, no anterio mitral leaflet flutter, n B-Bump, minimal (3mm) late systolic prolapse of the AML, EPSS 0.5 cm, no mitral annular calcification, no systolic anterior motion. Please advice what is the problem.
Asked On : Mon, 29 Oct 2012
Cardiologist 's  Response
from echo finding its related to mitral valve prolapse diseases
its not a life threatning problem , and with trivial mitral regurgitation means leaking mitral valve
continue your medication for RA and at for rapid heart beat once get it done your thyroid profile test if it normal then go for 24 hour holter monitoring study which give you information of heart beat regularity
take care
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Akhilesh Dubey's  Response

Welcome to HCM

You are having two medical problem one is RA(Rheumatoid Arthritis and not Rheumatic Arthritis) as you are taking drugs for 12 years and your disease should be controlled.

Another problem is MVP ( Mitral valve Prolapse) as you are having papitations in the form of fast heart beats,it could be because of MVP which can cause various tachycardia,

In his a mitral valve leaflet is longer and prolapses is left atrium (Chamber of heart) hence there is minor leak from valve.In this condition no surgery is required usually.Other causes could be hyperthyroid state and to know exact association with palpitation of tachycardia a ambulatory recording may be done called ho;ter monitoring.

For palpitations in consultation of cardiologist Beta blockers may be given to control symptoms.

Good luck to you