On medications for hypothyroidism, suffer from pain in knee joints, want to reduce weight. Is taking up gym advisable?

Hello Dr. Grief. This is a rather simplistic query and I wasn t sure who is the best person to direct this to. I am 27 yrs old Indian female, weight 56 kg, height 5 feet . I take regular medication for hypothyroidism . I want to join a gym and start working out to get back in shape. However, I am not certain of the disadvantages of joining a gym. Could there be any fall outs of it? Owing to hypothyroidism, I used to suffer from pain in my knee joints - that was effectively cured once I started medication for it. Is it advisable to join a gym if I take adequate care of the condition with my trainer?
Asked On : Fri, 7 Sep 2012