On healing process for erosive esophagitis, gets acid reflux on swallowing Nexium with water, wants to take without water

Re Nexium: I am taking 40mg Nexium in the morning for healing of endoscopically diagnosed erosive esophagitus (LA Grade A lesion). Question: Why does WWW.WWWW.WW and other sites add take with a glass of water to the administration instructions for oral use with the capsule, and is that mandatory? This is not on the FDA administration sheet. I called AstraZeneca and customer service simply reiterated the FDA sheet instructions, i.e., no mention of needing to use water for oral ingestion . My problem is that when I take Nexium with water upon rising, my swallowing induces some reflux of nocturnally produced acid in very small amounts or acidic gas. This is really slowing down the healing process in my esophagus and pharynx. (I also use 150mg ranitidine at night, but there is still residual nocturnal acid.) The Nexium does work but of course its action is on acid production following eating. By that time I have already been irritated by drinking the water earlier. I do not seem to have this problem when I swallow the capsule with just one sip of water. I speculate that the with water was added upon advice from some source with the objective of speeding the dissolving of the capsule and delivery of the granules to the intestine more quickly. But of course that s just speculation. I suppose I could take the Nexium with water simultaneously with an antacid, but I very much would rather not do that and its effectiveness would probably be minimal. If not using water slows absorption, I can easily wait longer before eating. But clearly drinking the water upon rising is a causing a problem. Thanks.
Asked On : Sun, 18 Mar 2012