On glycomet for diabetes. Medication changed to galvusmet. Proper treatment?

Hi doctor, My mother is aged 59. She is diagnosed with diabetes . FBS was 159 and PPBS was 173. She was put on glycomet 500mg s.r once in the night. She has used this tablet for a month and have gone for sugar test again. Now the FBS was 136 and PPBS was 164. Doctor has changed the tablet to Galvusmet 50mg/500mg twice a day. Is this change correct. Should we not try taking glycomet 500mg s.r twice a day first and then change to galvusmet 50mg/500mg. How safe and better is this from the old tablet.
Asked On : Sat, 16 Feb 2013