On depo, brown discharge, no odor, heavy breasts but no periods. Help

Hi I ve been on depo for about 9 months so I ve had 3 shots, I ve read alot of bad things about so I decided not to get my 4th shot which was on 2nd of July I ve been waiting on my period now but it seem to taking forever it s been 3 months now but last week I had brown discharge for 2 days no odour but now it s gone.. I ve had heavy breast for 2 months nothing serious but how I would normally feel before I start my period please help
Asked On : Thu, 11 Oct 2012
OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine 's  Response
Mar 2015
Hi, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns. Depo provera injection contains progesterone which has known side effects of irregular bleeding, spotting and prolonged amenorrhea. It also causes breast engorgement and tenderness.
It has side effects upto 3 months after its discontinuation.
I would suggest you to get a urine pregnancy test done and if negative, then you can safely wait for the period to come.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma