On birth control pills for excessive hair loss due to PCOS, advised blood test to detect testosterone level. How many days should I stop intake of birth control pills to get correct results?

I am a 27 yrs old female, and I have been on birth control pills (Diane 35) for almost 7 months. Reason being was that I have excessive hair loss recently and was diagnosed of PCOS . I then went to a dermatologist and he asked me to take a blood test on Testosterone level,etc. I know that taking birth control pills might affect the result of Testosterone level becuz birth control pills would usually decrease the number of Testosterone. Therefore I have stopped taking birth control pills for 3 weeks before I take this blood test. The result came back saying my Testosterone level was 80ng/dL. Reference Value for female is 13 - 108. May I know by skipping birth control pills for 3 weeks before taking this blood test , would the result be accurate? Or skipping 3 weeks is not enough for an accurate result since I have been on birth control pills for almost 7 months? thx!! Also my dermatologist said that the cause of my hair loss should not be related to excessive male hormone due to the above test result on my Testosterone level. My parents do not have any problems with hair loss.He said probably cuz of stress , etc., and said there are many factors that would lead to hair loss... Could you please advise what can I take in order to stop losing my hair and go back to a healthy and normal hair cycle? =***)
Asked On : Sun, 1 Jul 2012