On birth control, no periods, have stomach cramps, headaches, negative pregnancy test. Had taken morning after pill. Could that cause delay?

Hi i m on a birth control with 21tablets however my period was to come between the seven day pause but it s day six and it has not come, my stomach is cramping and I have headaches and I feel uncomfortable, I took a pregnancy test this morning and it s negative, while on the seven day pause I did take a morning after pill so I don t know if that may be delaying my period and i m also extremely stressed, please help
Asked On : Mon, 6 Aug 2012
Mar 2013
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
In response to the emergency contraceptive pill, there is invariably some amount of withdrawal bleeding / spotting which occurs within a few days.
It is not a rule however, so maybe you missed it, or might still experience it.
Now, birth control pills if taken consistently , need no back up, even on the pill free week.
Doubling it with emergency contraceptives is useless and adds to the side effects.
It would mostly alter your normal periods, either cause them to be early or late by a week or more days.
Hence, you might experience a period later than expected.
Since you had unprotected sex, it is best to take a pregnancy test if you miss your normal period.
Otherwise do not worry, as the pill will protect you, so will the ECP.
Please remember that emergency contraceptive pills are NOT a substitute for contraception.
Taking them repeatedly and so casually will ultimately cause her more loss than gain.
All the best