On birth control, irregular period. Chances for pregnancy?

I have been on birth control for 14 years. My period is always on time, although has started a day later in the last year. It is now two days late - which never happens. I had an irregular period last month so I thought that took out the possibility of being pregnant . My left side has been bothering me a few days, just uncomfortable, not really pain , but is getting worse. What could it be?
Asked On : Sun, 22 Apr 2012
Hi, Thanks for writing in,
I don't know on which contraception you are on but all methods do have some failure rates. You should not exclude the possibility of pregnancy just on the basis of an irregular period as this may occur even if you are pregnant.
I think you should take a pregnancy test, preferably a blood pregnancy test to rule out the possibility of an abnormally sited pregnancy, as you are having trouble on your left side it could be a tubal pregnancy on that side & this differential MUST be excluded to save you from any catastrophe.
I suggest you carry out a trans-vaginal ultrasound scan as well, this test will make it easy to differentiate the causes of your pain.
If any time the pain is sever or you feel faint you should rush to a hospital.
You may send me your reports for evaluation at
Wish you good health.