On birth control, have brownish flow at the start of periods followed by dark later, pain on using tampons. Pregnancy?

I am on brith control and have been for over a year I am also sexually active and I don t always take my pills on time. When I started my period it began around the time it should have but this time it was a brownish color at the beginning and then it turned slightly red on the second and third day but then turned straight back to brown. My periods are usually regular and I never have any problems with them and I always use tampons but this time it was hurting to use a tampon and there was very little if any blood . I also took a pregnancy test and it came up negative but I took it when I was still spotting with the brownish color. So, could I be pregnant or is something else going on?
Asked On : Fri, 1 Feb 2013
Radiologist 's  Response
Pregnancy is unlikely as you have had your periods but many women have a little bleeding called implantation bleeding which they mistake as their periods. Since the tampon is hurting it could be you are suffering from genital tract infection most likely fungal in cervix or vagina. Get a PAP smear done and use vaginal pessaries after repeating your UPT to be on safer side.