On birth control. Having menstruation symptoms, heavy flow. Reason for getting periods twice in a month?

i just started taking birth control . i was told by my doctor to take it the third day after my period started because the last few days are very light. Anyways, now that i am about 15 -16 days into taking the birth control, i have period like symptoms, and the flow is like the first day of my regular period...... do you get your period twice during the first month of taking the birth control pill ? (taking alesse )
Asked On : Mon, 4 Mar 2013