On antidepressant to treat mental illness. Unable to swallow. Should Haldol be given at old age?

Hi , My Father had been on many antidepressant and other meds to treat mental illness over the past six years. He became ill with some form of infection thispast december and could not swallow , he could not take his regular medication, trazadone and seroquel . He was in our local hospital, by the time i got there they had started him on Haldol. I could not believe the shape he was in. Extreme Delirium and had to placed in restraints to prevent him from hurting himself. On the forth day he passed away. The hospital agve him massive amounts of Haldol, large amounts of lorazepam and morphine in order to do a C T scan. My question is about my concern over the drug Haldol. I have had people say that his age and other drugs he had been on, Haldol was not the drug to be used. My Father had just turned seventy three years of age. Kind Regards, Sherry
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013