On antibiotics for bacterial vaginosis. Mucus in the vaginal discharge. Could this be perimenopause?

Hi, I am 46, 47 in April. In February, I missed my first period ever (not associated with pregnancy). I got my period on March 17. A few days later I noticed a bad odor, and went to my OB/GYN. Had a pap , etc...had an infection (BV I think) and am currently on antibiotics . It is now March 28 and my bleeding is still moderate and steady, with some small clots and mucus . I had CBC and pregnancy blood work done yesterday. Dr. called today and wants to put me on Provera for 10 days and I have scheduled a post GYN ultrasound and consultation. What could be going on with me? Could this be perimenopause, or something more serious, like cancer? Thank you.
Asked On : Mon, 1 Apr 2013