On and off nightmares, screams and cries, affects sleep schedule and school performance. Opinion?

My daughter is 13 and for about a year now her nightmares have been coming back off and on. At first it was just a rude awakening for her and she would go right back to sleep but now they have become so real to her (as she says). She screams and cries like it is really happening and it is affecting her sleep schedule and performance in school along with her other activities such as girl scouts and band. I have looked for therapists but Im just not sure yet if I should take her or just help her at home.
Asked On : Sat, 12 May 2012