On a low calorie diet, good weight loss, not losing any weight now. Should I eat normal food if my weight hits a plateau?

I have been on a diet for 18 days, the first fourteen days I lost a total of 14 pounds and now I have not lost weight over the last 3 days. It is strictly a calorie diet at 1560 a day. The last 10 days or so though I have averaged about 1100 compared to staying at 1400 to 1500 the first week. I do 15 minutes on the elliptical a day also. My question is this, I have heard that when you hit a plateau, you should take a day off and eat normal. They tell me that the body goes into starvation mode and needs shocked, is this true?
Asked On : Sat, 24 Mar 2012