On Metronidazole for Flagyl. Now have stomach pain. Hardly eat. Side effects of Flagyl?

My husband was perscribed Metronidazole/(for Flagyl) 500 mg 3x's day for 3 weeks for an intestinal infection ("clostridium difficile infection of intestine"). On day 16 he started to experience stomach pain now it's soo severe it lasts ALL day, he can hardly eat and it keeps him awake at night. He has stopped the medication early because our thought is that is what is causing his stomach pain. His last dose was 1/2 a dose 24 hours ago. We unfortuantly do not have health insurance as of Oct 1st ( I was laid off ) but was seen by the prescibing Dr prior to the termination of our health insurance due to his intestinal infection "clostridium difficile infection of intestine". Please advise what maybe causing such pain and when can we expect the side effects of FLAGYL to subside after stopping this medication….Thank you for your time.
Asked On : Mon, 14 Oct 2013