Old male, experiencing progressive weakness in left hand, wrist with the inability to grip. How to regain strength?

I am a 72 year old male. For the past three to four years, I have been experiencing a progressive weakness in my left hand and wrist with the inability to grip, especially with the last two fingers. About a year ago, I had shock testing done on that hand and arm and it was determined that I had nerve damage in my wrist and, to a lesser degree, my left elbow. I then had carpel tunnel surgery on both the elbow and wrist. I was told by the surgeon that this would halt the progression of the weakness, but would not restore the strength lost to that point. It has done neither. The hand, wrist and arm continue to weaken to the point that I cannot open a car door or apply a bicycle brake lever with my left hand. Is there anything I can try to regain my strength?
Asked On : Sat, 12 Oct 2013