Old aged female, end stages of metastsic ovarian cancer, swelling abdomen, no radiation therapy, sound mental health. Prognosis?

Hi, Dr. J. Krueger, My Mother, aged 79 years, is in the end stages of metastic stage iv ovarian cancer , biggest tumour 8 cms being inside her liver , Prognosis end of February 2012, approximately six months into August. This just beginning August, she has ascites build-up in her abdomen, which is swelling more, they are thinking of draining it in your opinion, does that help with pressure or just reoccur (again), as well as swelling just started in her feet to her ankles --- is that a sign of liver or heart failure? I don t know, I, of course, am a layman, but my thoughts are the proteins are low, so the fluids are spilling elsewhere, I guess compression socks (although expensive, except when dying) would help? Radiation therapy was discussed but the MD, the oncologist , and the radiologist said no because on the CT scan, the tumour was growing sideways and there was a cloud of *star cells* beside it, and it couldn t be pinpointed for radiation, so no to that, just upped medication. Ativan, and steroids, And, her mind is sound, no memory loss or acting funny, some angry outburst(s) though. Does this sound like the end is near as far as prognosis was given? Kind regards, with thank-you, Her daughter
Asked On : Sun, 5 Aug 2012