Old aged female, VP shunt surgery, no improvement, walker needed, bathroom accidents, hand shake, left hand clasped tightly. Normal?

My 80 year old Mom had VP Shunt surgery 5 days ago for normal pressure hydrocephalas and is not showing any signs of improvement. Actually she is in worse shape than she was when she went in for surgery. Before she had to use a walker for mobility and could not get up & down on her own. Sometimes she could not make it to the bathroom in time nor could she sit on the toilet & get back up on her own. But now she is completely reliable on someone else...She cant walk on her own with a walker, she has had several bathroom accidents, hands are shaking, cant feed herself without food being all over the place, and wants to hold things in her left hand and not let go. Is this normal??
Asked On : Sat, 23 Jun 2012

Thanks for writing to health care magic.
I can understand your concern.

Since a VP shunt is placed some times problems can occur because of the shunt. A blockage of the shunt etc can cause problems. A physical examination is required to identify the cause of her problems.

Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.
Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics