Often been choking on food, chronic cough. What could be the issue? Cure?

My Dad is 81 and he has often been choking on food. he had extensive tests at the specialist- including drinking barium upside down, on his side etc and the Doctor could find nothing. He has also developed a chronic cough- after the flu last september he is still gluey and always coughing. He went to another specialist last week who said he should stop talking, take strong cough mixture and a musckle relaxant. TOday when he took the cough mix (6ml) he choked and I had to call the ambulance. THis is becoming a serious problem as we aren;t walways here to look after him if he chokes while we are out- but as no dr can say why he insists there is nothing worng!
One of the ambulance staff suggested that it could be lazy larynx or something else - that we should have a look online but the information seems to be more about babies. tthe choking thing only started 4 or 5 years ago- but started incresing in frequency. (Has the cough fatigued his larynx/ muscles? Are there some sort of exercises? WHy wd this start to happen now?)
Asked On : Tue, 16 Apr 2013