Occasional throb in the neck. Reason?

I have an occasional throb in the center of my neck (seems to feel like my esophogus). It sort of feels like the pulse I usually can feel on the side of my neck, but it is in the center. And I can feel it without placing my fingers on it. It just seems to be a strong throb. Not constant. Noticed it last night when it woke me up and notice it today especially when my head/ chin is down slightly.
Asked On : Mon, 4 Feb 2013
The throbbing that you mentioned is it visible or are you feeling it on your finger? The slight throb that you feel between the collar bone is a pulse. The lateral side of the neck i.e the side of the neck throb felt is the pulse of a vein (jugular vein). The neck pulse is a strong pulse which can be easily felt. Did you get up because of the throbbing ? Generally the pulse at the neck is not visible, but sometimes it because of some pathology such as high blood pressure.

Few questions that are important , are you a diabetic / hypertensive ?

I suggest that if this is visible for the next few days do check with your family physician to rule out any pathology.

Do get back for any further queries.