Numbness in the ring an little finger at the site of cut. Had cut a capillary and got strictures. How long will the numbness persist?

hi i went to a after hours dr. for some stitches in my left ring finger , the cut went to the bone he said i cut a capilary, the place was busy, so he tried to give me stitches without a nerse present, but the bleeding was wild, he finaly got in six stitches. it has been about three weeks but i still have a slight numb fealing in my pinky, and the ring finger from the cut to the tip. how long before the numbness in the two fingers goes away?
Asked On : Fri, 13 Jul 2012

Thanks for writing in,

From your history & complaint it seems that the digital sensory nerve to the finger was cut due to the injury. Stitches were applied to close the wound and control the bleeding. Usually if the nerve is not fully cut, the numbness will start disappearing by 2-3 mths. If the nerve is fully cut, then chances for recovery of sensation is less. But this wont cause any disability in your day-to-day activities, unless you use little finger for activities like playing music instruments.

I would suggest you to wait for another 3 -4 weeks. Drugs like methylcobalamin/pregabalin/gabapentin can be useful for speedy recovery. care should be taken in terms of avoiding extremes of temperature or injury to the finger which might get unnoticed due to loss of sensation.

Hope this clarifies your query,