Numbness in my left thigh. Is it normal ?

hello I am worried about numbness in my left thigh, does this have any relation to ms as this condition runs in my familly
Asked On : Sun, 6 Feb 2011
Neurologist 's  Response
Hi ,
Numbness in left thigh can be due to many reason .Further detail history is needed , whether it is diffusely over thigh, or in lateral or medial .or posterior aspect of thigh.Any associated back ache, any weakness associated?You require detail evaluation by neurologist to differentiate whether Spinal cord involved( as in Multiple sclerosis)., or is it radiculopathy( Disc prolapse), and neuropathy.You also need MRI spine focusing on dorso lumbar spine and confirm the site of lesion.Based on it treatment planned.

If one of your parents or siblings has multiple sclerosis, you have a 1 to 3 percent chance of developing the disease — as compared with the risk in the general population, which is just a tenth of 1 percent.

Dr Sandhya Manorenj
Hi Tech city, Hyderabad
OBGYN Dr. Rakhi Tayal's  Response
Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum.
Numbness in your thigh may or may not be related to multiple sclerosis. It needs to be examined and properly investigated as even if it not MS even then it can be serious and needs to be diagnosed well in time.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal