Numbness in leg and foot, intense sharp pain on squeezing the ankle, no swelling or discoloration. What could this be?

My husband just woke up and he has very, very little to no feeling at all in his whole right leg and right foot . He said it feels like it has fallen asleep but no feeling has returned. He was poking at it with sharp objects as said that he couldnt really feel it. He layed down on the bed and I started to massage it and when I was squeezing by his ankle, he nearly jumped off the bed in pain. He said he didn t even know that area was hurting until he got the sharp pain through his leg. There is no swelling and discoloration compared to the other leg. Please help, Thank you
Asked On : Sun, 27 May 2012