Numbness in fingers, sometimes painful and swollen. Serious?

I was installing glass tile and must have got tiny shards og glass in my fingertips. after rubbing a deep heat or theragic type gel on my fingers became numb difficult to move, especiall after sleeping, sometumes painfull and swollen. this. first happened six days ago and has only become slightly better. could thus be serious?
Asked On : Tue, 6 Nov 2012

There might be particles of glass remaining inside your fingertip .If it remains inside it will lead to pus formation and further pain.

Don't panic. Visit your doctor he will take out the particle if its there in place. A small incision may be needed to take it out.

Till then apply antiseptic lotion or ointment at the place so that it doesnt get infected. Keep the place clean.

You can take analgesics if you feel too much pain.You may need systemic antibiotics if there is serious infection.

Hope this helps.

Disclaimer: The Expert’s advice is provided for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, as a complete assessment of an individual has not taken place.Please consult your nearest physician before acting on it. The advice is not valid for medico-legal purposes also.