Numbness in fingers, shoulder pain. Taking Norspan and forte. History of frozen shoulder. Any advice?

during the night when I go to sleep on my back I get woken up with my thumb and first two fingers numb.it takes me 10/15 minutes to wake them up..i try and sleep on my side with same results..tried every pillow and none ,no difference..my same shoulder was frozen 20 years ago and after I unfroze it myself I have had pain in the back of the shoulder..tried everything from my gp for pain ie norspan+p/forte..i can deal with this but this numbness is only giving me 4 hours sleep so I stay up for a few hours then try and get a few more hours,until the numbness wakes me up again..any advice I would be thankful for..i am a 77 year old male in a1 health apart from this..thank you.....
Asked On : Mon, 14 Oct 2013
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013
Thank you for posting your query.

Numbness in the thumb and first two fingers suggests an involvement of median nerve, a nerve that supplies sensation to thumb and first three and a half fingers.

The most common reason for the involvement of median nerve is entrapment of the nerve at the level of wrist, a condition called as carpal tunnel syndrome. Another possibility is increased sensitivity to pressure palsies.

Doing a nerve conduction study would help diagnose these conditions.

They improve with medications such as gabapentin or pregabalin.

I hope it helps.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/