Numbness and tingling in the face, headaches and loss of balance. Vertigo diagnosed. MRI showing anterolishtesis. Any help?

I have had transient numbness and tingling most,y right face since Easter last year with increasing headaches/migraines with aura. Then I developed vertigo and loss of balance. I was sent for audio,ogy testing which showed abnormal visual evoked potentials with problems with smooth persuit and upward gaze nystagmus. I was sent for an MRI, mra and cx spine MRI. Cx spine MRI showed minor c3/4 anterolisthesis and nothing else. MRI brain showed a 6mmx3mm cyst in the pineal region, told this is nothing to worry about and MRI in another 6 mths. they did contrast and non contrast studies. Tonight I have developed a severe migraine, no aura, neck stiffness and then have developed initially left hand numbness in a c6/7 dermatomal distribution and trouble with motor control (could not tupe with that hand) then left upper lip numbness and left roof of mouth and tongue numbness. These then resolved after 20minutes or so. The migraine severe head pain (worse than ever before) continues.

I am a healthy 32 yr old mother of two who has a bit of stress. 4 yrs ago I had an episode of crushing retrosternal chest pain which resulted in admission to coronary care for a week, and was diagnosed as oesophageal spasm, although they did find p wave flips due to two depolarization pathways and a dodgy valve causing a murmur. I do have chest pain on and off but do not get concerned. Decreasing stress and eating regularly seems to help... I generally do not get sick, and these weird undiagnosed issues are bothering me. I am on no medications at all, eat a healthy unprocessed, low refined sugars, low sodium diet. I am coeliac so do not have gluten.

In the last 12 mths I also feel I cannot empty my bladder properly and keep thinking I have a uti, but tests are negative.

With this scenario, where should I turn? is this one thing I should raise further with the dr, or just ignore as more weird and wonderful symptoms? What could this be? Is ms a possibility? Can ms be missed on MRI?
Asked On : Thu, 4 Apr 2013

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your concern. The transient numbness and motor control in your left hand could also be cervical spondylosis which needs to be excluded. The MRI findings do not suggest anything significant.

Regarding your concern for multiple sclerosis, the symptoms do not suggest them neither the MRI finding corroborate them. However it may be kept as a differential diagnosis and excluded over time. You can discuss all these possibilities with your doctor who shall be in a better position to guide you.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal