Numbness and pain in left toe. Family history of peripheral neuropathy. How can I stop further nerve damage?

About two years ago I started getting numbness and pain in my left toe . Spoke to my GP and he thought as I had knocked it badly I could have damaged the nerve and that it would take up to 18 months to repair. Non that time the pain in the toe went just leaving the numbness but the pain and numbness started in the right t Big toe over time the pain went just leaving numbness now in both big toes. The pain and numbness started in my left thumb and mentioned it to my GP as my father has peripheral neuropathy which has caused him to loss feeling in his legs now to mid thigh. He is in his lat 80 s but I am concerned this might be affecting me. The GP thought it could be a problem in my neck . I am 57 female, not diabetic in good health but over weight. Can you give me advice as to whether I should ask to be referred on to get things checked or if it is neck problem how can I stop further nerve damage?
Asked On : Sat, 4 Aug 2012