Numb right hand, caused forearm to twitch, lost ability to grip. What could be this?

I am a 20 year old male; I had an event where pressure was applied for 20 minutes to my right arm/at the shoulder; as a result my right arm went completely numb; the "lack of feeling" went down my arm causing my forearm to twitch and my hand/fingers to go numb; this caused me to lose the ability to grip anything with my hand. It has been 2 weeks, the numbness in upper arm and twitching have diminished; however my hand has not "come back". My hand is somewhat locked in the position as if I am holding a baseball....
Asked On : Sat, 30 Mar 2013
you need to consult an orthopedician for this.The symptoms you have mentioned are due to decreased blood supply to your hand and it will take some time to come to normal stage as of now you are still having problems you need to have an xray.There mighy be injury to nerves too thas the reason you got that problem.If it is a simple nerve injury then its ok and it will take some more time for it to be reversible.Thank you.
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

From the description, I feel that all your symptoms are related to the ISCHEMIA of muscles and nerves in the forearm and hand caused by the constricting pressure applied to the arm for 20 minutes.

I think, this is going to resolve spontaneously with 4-6 weeks.

In the meantime, you are advised to regularly perform movements of all the joints in the upper limb so that they will not develop any contractures leading to deformities.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day