Nuchal Translucency test suggests risk of Downs syndrome. Why is it ?

HImy name is AAAAi am just worried about my Nuchal Translucency tes ,and Free bhCG/PAPP-A MY results afer having my ultra sound at 13w 1 day were NT 2.2mm fbhCG WAS 1.256MOM and PAPP-A 0.978... I went to see my doctortoday and she said i have to go for an urgent appointment this week to test for Trisomy 21 background risk is 1:57 and adjusted risk is 1:363... is this bad as i am worried and she explained the downs syndrome risk but i didnt really understand why...i am 41 and have 4 children already aged 22 19 11 an 10... i dont moke and exercise regually Can you plese explain how high the risk is of the tests ahead ore and are they necessary Thank YOU
Asked On : Thu, 28 Feb 2013