Noticed long string in bowel movement. Could it be diphyllobothrium tapeworm?

Hi All, So a few weeks ago my boyfriend and I went to our usual sushi place. (We go about once a month.) When I first bit into my roll this time, I immediately noticed that it seemed very room temp, almost warm, which I found unusual, since we have our favorites that we order repeatedly. He said he thought it was fine, so I just shrugged it off, an continued eating, although I didnt finish my portion. This morning, after going to the bathroom, apon wiping I noticed what looked like a foot-long rubber band on the tiolet tissue as well in the tiolet. (I understand if you re cringing...I m having a mental breakdown about this.) So of course I looked at it for a minute before flushing and went online to research. According to this very website, it is Diphyllobothrium tapeworm, consistent with improperly prepared sushi. My question is: what now? I contacted a GI doctor who is a friend and am waiting for his return call, as well as immediately took three laxatives. Any other suggestions?
Asked On : Thu, 7 Feb 2013
Welcome to HCM,
Nothing to worry, Tape worm infection is common particularly in non vegetarians.
Go for stool test for ova and cyst and go for the treatment accordingly after consulting your doctor.
Ok and bye.