Noticed dark spots on toe nail and feeling sore. Nail fungus or bruise?

I removed my toenail polish several weeks ago and noticed that there was a dark spot underneath one of my toenails. It is on the toe next to the big toe. It is a round spot located in the center of the nail and goes back to the cuticle. I had recently worn some new boots that were not broken in. I do a lot of walking at work. After wearing the boots to work the first time, I did notice that my toes were sore for a few days. Therefore I am unsure if this is a bruise under the nail or nail fungus . How can I tell the difference?
Asked On : Thu, 10 Jan 2013