Noticed dark brown elongated spot in the little toe. Could it be just a mole or melanoma?

I have a dark brown spot that appeared on the inside of my little toe a few months ago. It looks almost like a freckle. It's completely flat (you can't feel it at all), uniform in color, but it isn't round. It's kind of elongated. I don't know how to describe it without a picture. I am going to get it checked out, but in the meantime I'm a little worried, since i read that melanoma is often found on the feet especially in women. Is it very possible that it is just a benign mole? Do benign moles ever just appear on toes like that?
Asked On : Wed, 1 May 2013