Not eating and drinking. Put on syringe driver. Is there a hope?

My sister in law was put onto a syringe driver yesterday she is at the end of her life. She is not eating or drinking and seems a little restless is this the norm? and how long do you think it will be as it is very distressing to see her I know the time scale is a difficult one but does a syringe driver mean it could be days as opposed to weeks Thank you
Asked On : Mon, 8 Apr 2013
Hi, thanks for healthcare magic

I am sorry for the pain that you and your family must be experiencing.

As you correctly stated, it is difficult to estimate the time your sister has left.

When a person has a 1 to 2 weeks left the following may be seen: mostly sleeping, disorientation, altered perception, there may be skin color changes, increased perspiration.
With a few days to hours the breathing may be very irregular, there may be episodes of no breathing followed by fast breathing, unresponsive, hands and feet may look blotchy.

I hope this helps and wish you and yours the best