Not able to bend the finger after getting hurt. Have swelling and bruising. Need x-ray? Should I keep it moving?

I hurt my ring finger playing basketball a week ago. i was able to bend the finger right afterwards, and it was sore. But during the night my finger swelled up and had pretty severe bruising. I have it splinted. It hurts to move it much. I went to a walk in clinic but 3 hour wait so i left. Should i have an xray done now? Should i keep it straight? i dont want the joint to be stiff but i also dont want to keep moving it if it should be kept straight.
Asked On : Wed, 9 Jan 2013