Normal for eleven year old child to masturbate?

I ve caught my 11 year old niece masturbating. Actually I didn t catch her she was doing it under a blanket sitting next to me on the sofa. A few days later my husband noticed her doing it as she was doing her homework at the table. Is this normal? and How should I handle telling her parents. By the way, I already had to tell her parents that she has been posting nude pictures to men on the internet. Thanks for any advice
Asked On : Mon, 12 Nov 2012

Thank you for your query.

It is very normal for children to masturbate. However, the children need to be educated about sex and this can be best done with the support of their health provider.

Posting of nude pictures/videos on the internet needs to be taken seriously. Children should be educated about the possible misuse and complications arising out of this act. Parents need to use their parental control over the computer and internet and ensure that this medium is used for better educational/informational purpose rather than misuse.

All this requires gentle handling by the parents who need to be very patient with the child so that the child does not revolt and understands the consequences.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Sagar Mhatre's  Response
In young children, masturbation is a normal part of the growing child's exploration of her own body.

Be gentle with her.

Making them stop and forbidding is not really a good approach.

What you should learn the child is that if she’s doing it, she should do it in her room when she is
alone because it is private.

You can also try to distract her with finding something else to do and making her hands busy with something else.

You have to be careful about not shaming her.

" I Wish Your baby Good Health "