No growth of teeth in a 1 year old. Is it normal ?

Asked On : Tue, 10 May 2011
Dentist 's  Response
mostly teeth start to appear in the 6th or 7th month
but it may be delayed upto 15 months age
what i would suggest is that if you dont see swelled up gums in anterior region of your baby ,then visit a dentist and get a full mouth radiograph done
hope that is not the condition with your child but rare cases have been seen of partial or complete anodontia
best of luck

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for aksing the query,

Erruption of milk teeth in children occurs at the age of 6-7 months.
Delay in the erruption of milk teeth can be due to vitamin deficiency, undernutrition , malnutrition, hypothyroidism, hypopitptuitarism, low levels of T3, T4, elevated levels of TSH, absence of tooth buds.
I would suggest you to visit to the Pedodontist and get the checkup done take the necessary x-rays.

Hope this helps out,

the normal timing, when the baby first start having teeth eruption is 6 to 7 months. But in a few cases it may be delayed by another 6 or 7 months for some local reasons. As your baby is now almost 15 month old, teeth must be on their way in oral cavity by maximum of next one or two months. you can feel them by rubbing against the gums of the teeth, which appers swollen and with slighted elevation of crown portion, that can be felt.

Also, Kindly pay attention on skin/ nails and hair of the baby. if they are normal, there is little to be worried about.

if still it doen't happen, ask for a dentist opinion, who can perform a xray of jaws and can make sure presence of the teeth.
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
6 months is common to get a first tooth but that its completely normal not to see teeth as late as 18 months. ENJOY the time of no teeth because the longer they go without teeth the longer the caries bacteria cant survive in their mouth so you dont have to worry about brushing those teeth! You should still use a wet cloth wrapped around your finger to swipe out their mouth after feedings though as food can get trapped and detoriate on their gums and it gets them used to you handling their mouth for later on when they do get teeth.
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

Thanks for writing to HCM forum.

Usually in a child,teeth starts erupting at the age of 6-7 months.

Delayed tooth eruption can be either physiological or skeletal abnormalities associated.

Please do visit a dentist and get clinical as well as x-ray investigations done ,which may help to rule out the position of tooth underlying gums.

Dermatologist Dr. Gaurav Patel's  Response
hi mukto
generally baby has first tooth at age of 7-8 month.
gradually she develop teeth.
what u r baby has delay eruption.
it may be normal.but better to get her examine by dentist
is she have any other problem?
teeth will surely there ,but it will take some time