The symptom of night sweat has various causes except the hormonal issues with thyroid only,
The below mention causes may lead to the classic picture with night sweat, palpitations , tremors , heart racing.
1) Low blood sugar
(most common cause)
2) Panic disorder ( where you feel scared suddenly like doom is upon you and you are about to die)
3) Carcinoid syndrome/pheochromocytoma
( where improper amount of epinephrine
may be secreted, from adrenal glands
4) Infection like Tuberculosis
can lead to night sweats
needs to checked too
5) Medications- Antidepressant medications
are a common type of drug that can lead to night sweats.
So any of the above mention cause can lead to the symptoms and needs to be checked
CONSULT PHYSICIAN and ask him to test for above mention causes.
mostly the test required will be as follow
1) Blood sugar random test at night hours when feeling sweaty will help / you can straight away take some sugar water and if you feel better in little bit the its spot diagnosis that you had low sugar
2) Needs some blood hormone levels test for pheochromocytoma/ carcinoid syndrome along with ultrasound of kidney to see the adrenal gland and may need biopsy if suggested by physician
3) In case of TB suspicion , x-ray chest and sputum test needs to be done.
1) In case of low sugar just take sugar.
2) In case of panic disorder, nerve calming drugs may be given
3) In case of pheochromocytoma/ carcinoid syndrome follow physician advice
4) In case TB - ANTIBIOTICS will be given
5) In case of medication induced problems, changing to other drug may help,
HOPE IT HELPS.
Dr. JAY PATEL