Nickel sized red bumps which itch and painful. Doctor said those were bites of hives. Taken predisone. Remedy?

I have developed these nickel sized red welts/bumps that itch and are painful. The first outbreak I thought something bit me during the night. They went away and within a couple of days more appeared. I went to the the doctor and they said it was hives. I took the 4 days of prednisone as directed. They went away and within a week were back yet again. I have disinfected my whole house and I am still getting them. No one else in my family is getting them. They appear only around joints. I have a noticeable loss of energy, weight gain and other issues that seem to have appeared about the same time as the first outbreak.
Asked On : Fri, 11 Oct 2013