Newborn with low sugar level followed by high HB. What could be the cause, any precautions?

My newborn baby was born at 38.6 weeks of gestation. But he weighed only 2245 gms. On his first night of life he had low sugar level- 2.6. He was therefore put on IV. The next day the doctors diagnosed him to be having high levels of haemoglobin in the body, which they said has made the blood thicker and therefore difficult to flow, resulting in low oxygen level in the body. He was given a procedure whereby some of the blood from his body was diluted. He is ok now and his sugar level is also normal. But what I want to understand is what could have led to the high haemoglobin count in his body in the first place? And is there anything else I need to be careful about no?
Asked On : Sat, 11 Aug 2012