Newborn baby has low hemoglobin level. Done blood transfusion. Can you help?

Hi, My wife gave birth to our 3rd child today. He was 37 weeks but worrying for us had a haemoglobin level of 4.7. He looked a little pale and was a little lethargic ie not the crying baby you would expect at birth. I m extremely worried regarding the implications of this finding. He s had a blood transfusion . First two transfers are near complete the third a believe will be a slower release. I can see the colour back in his cheeks and he s a little more alert. However what are the implications can you please help. I m really worried. He had to be induced and we did notice the pulse drop on numerous occaisions but accelerations and variability were fine. We went sure what the cause was but it was apparent after ie short of blood. The placenta was not a purply red just in parts.
Asked On : Sat, 29 Dec 2012