Nerve pain in arm and hand, bulging disc diagnosed. Surgery?

I have been suffering from nerve pain in my arm and hand as a result (diagnosed) of a bulging disc. I did 1 yer of phys therapy but the relief from symptoms only came after I stopped working. I have now moved, new state, and I want to see a Dr. but I am worried they will just send me back to Phys. Therapy which DIDN'T work. Is it unreasonable when a Dr. suggests Phys therapy to tell them "No, I think surgery might be the next step, physical therapy didn't work can I get another MRI?"?
Asked On : Sun, 13 Oct 2013